Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default O/T: Up Yours

Han wrote:
(Doug Miller) wrote in
:

In article , Han
wrote:

The scientific principles behind CO2 causing our planet to heat up
are very convincing.

Not really: consider that ice core data shows that previous
temperature increases *precede* increases in atmospheric CO2
levels.
Kinda hard to show a cause-and-effect relationship when the
supposed
"cause" follows the "effect".

That makes GW still more scary, IMO. The CO2 increase like now
(industrial revolution) has never before occurred (unless there was
indeed volcanic CO2 output).

How do you know that it has "never before occurred"? We only have
data back a few hundred thousand years. Such events as the Deccan
Traps took place long before that. Then there's the question of what
a large meteor strike does--how much CO2 did the Chicxulub strike
release?

Is CO2 the worst of the gases? No, methane is much worse, but
because it is present in so much lesser quantities, it may not
reach the importance of CO2.
Is the heating by the increased CO2 that much?

First off, there's *no* evidence that increasing atmospheric CO2
levels *cause* the very slight warming that has been observed...

The papers I have seen in reputable journals like Science indicate
me otherwise.

Based on climate models that are working from a couple of hundred
years of data no doubt. If the model when run for a simulated hundred
thousand years or so doesn't show the glaciation cycle then it's not
to be trusted. We're in the boundary of a cycle--the model has to be
able to separate what's part of the cycle with what's not. If it
can't show the cycle then it can't do that. And none of these climate
models have been tested that way.

These are basically the same models that told us that if Saddam fired
his oil fields we'd all freeze to death in the dark. They were wrong
then, what makes you think that they're right now?

On a scale of 0 to a
million degrees Kelvin, again, no, but try heating your body up 5
degrees K, from 310 to 315 degrees. That is not even a 2%
increase!
But less than a few hours and you're cooked.

.. and second, this is an entirely specious comparison. The slight
temperature increase that has been observed so far is NOWHERE NEAR
5
degrees Kelvin.

I was trying to make a point, but apparently didn't succeed. The
point was that human life (and society in general) is predicated on
agriculture, which is really bound to a rather narrow temperature
range. You can shift things somewhat to or from the equator, but
that's it.

I hope I am just seeing the dark side of things and that it won't be
as bad as the doomsayers suggest, but wouldn't you want to be on the
safe side?

Eventually the event you fear is going to happen anyway you know. Why
not have it happen now and get it over with? Ice ages are not the
normal state of the planet.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)