Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Advice on adding screen room to deck

wrote:
We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?
- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

Thanks

Hi,
I did exactly that years ago. Size was bigger than yours.
Living in a cold climate, Deck floor was foam core insulated to R40 and
custom manufactured 4 season roof and walls/windows erected. Also
installed a heat pump for extra heating/cooling. My deck was suported by
concrete piles more than 6 feet deep(frost line)