Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cost of oil-fired heating

On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:51:07 -0700 (PDT), terry wrote:

So oil heat costs around 7.5p per kilowatt/hr.

Broadly ATM, at 60p/l I'd put it closer to 8p/unit useable heat.

Electricity which is supposedly 100% efficient etc. costs ???? per kw/
hr.

I pay 8.415p/kWHr on a "normal" tarrif. E7 I pay 4.27/13.18

Is the changeover cost and any reductions in maintenance cost such as
combustion chamber replacement, chimney cleaning, oil tank mtc. etc.
amortised over say a number of years worth it?

If you bring in capital expenses of a change over it's highly unlikely
that it will be worth it in a term less than 10 years.

What are expecatations for changes in costs of oil and electrcity?

Both upward. Oil will rise faster but in smaller steps as it follows the
market price of energy much more closely than electricity. Electric will
rise but in larger more spaced out jumps as and when the power companies
feel they can get away with another 10 to 15% increase after the last
one... I'd expect most suppliers to hoik the prices again before the
winter demand comes in and the "cheap" summer bills have landed. Did I
hear last week that British Gas where thinking about it already?

--
Cheers
Dave.