Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The Decision is in

On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:17:06 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

OTOH, the left/gay alliance will not stop here. Once recognized as
legally legitimate marriage, there is going to be a big push to
demand that the *private* sector recognize it equally as well.
And this I oppose, again on principle. The 14th amendment is binding
upon *government*. If private sector institutions wish to recognize
different unions differently, they ought to be able to. The Constitution
also protects the "Freedom Of Assembly" - as private employers, schools,
churches, hospitals ... are formed, their constituents and/or owners
ought to be legally free to include or exclude anyone they wish.

As long as those NGOs are not taking government funds, I agree in
principle. Unfortunately, most of them are grabbing all they can get.

And we have to be on the alert for those who think "lack of recognition"
and "exclusion" are the same thing. A private hospital may well refuse to
provide equal benefits for employees based on whatever, but they should
not be able to refuse treatment. Nor should they be able to exclude a
legal partner from visitation rights or a voice in care decisions.