Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

krw wrote in news:MPG.2297621d47f3215f989c18
@news.individual.net:

In article 39,
says...
NameNotImportant wrote in
m:

lbm?

I'm not sure on your units.

pounds (mass), lbm, as opposed to pounds (force), lbf, or lb.

It is necessary to distinguish between mass and force but they are both
measured in pounds in the english system.

The "English" system uses the "stone" as the measurement of mass.
The pound ('lb') is the unit of *FORCE*.

Metric is 'much simpler' with grams(mass) and newtons(force).

Evidently *you* think the "English" system is too complicated. ;-)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ma...ght-d_589.html

I don't think any of them are 'too complicated'.
It is easy enough to convert from one to another.

However, FAILURE to convert has been known to cause problems, such as a
Mars mission that crashed because the wrong units were used.

http://www.cnn.com/TECH/space/9909/30/mars.metric/

--
bz

infinite set.