Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default Obamas plans for the US

On May 16, 10:39*am, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Ignoramus620" wrote in message

By the way, regarding Barack Hussein Obama's stated desire to
eliminate nuclear weapons. I think that it is election talk and is not
realistic.

The US would, in fact, have an even greater mililtary advantage over
current nuclear countries if everyone got rid of nuclear weapons. But
they are not stupid and would not do such a dumb thing as to get rid
of nuclear weapons. So it is not going to happen.

Historically, nuclear weapons are a guarantor of peace and are very
inexpensive compared to their value.

This is one of the areas in which Ronald Reagan had important insights, and
one of those in which he unraveled the claims that he was an "amiable
dunce." I'd put his thoughts on this subject near the top of that list.

He said essentially what Obama is suggesting as a goal: that nuclear weapons
are a scourge and should be completely eliminated from the earth. His
numerous arms-control initiatives were pointed in that direction.

Read his memoir on the subject some time. This is a guy who knew first-hand
what nuclear weapons do to the relations between countries and to the risks
they face. You'll find that other presidents who had that same understanding
felt the same way about it, but were less forthright about doing anything
about it. Mutually assured destruction, after all, seemed to work at the
time, and it would take an extraordinary amount of courage to go against
that principle.

--
Ed Huntress

They will only be eliminated from countries with leaders and
populations naive enough to believe the wishful rhetoric. Others will
hide them under the drugs we can't find or in Bin Laden's cave or next
to Jimmy Hoffa, or in a donated World Peace Memorial statue, concealed
by lead shielding inside the bronze.

Germany and Japan were able to build up air forces and navies that
violated the high-minded arms control treaties that followed WW1, more
or less in plain sight, because Western pacifists wouldn't accept
evidence that they were wrong. The strong and competent US foreign
intelligence service was shut down because "gentlemen don't read each
other's mail".

The Russians recently revealed a major undiscovered Soviet missile
development center right outside Moscow disguised as an apartment
complex. The water tower was actually the flash suppressor for rocket
exhausts. All they had to do to fool our satellites was move the cars
around in a normal commuter pattern.

Jim Wilkins