Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

Default Atlas shaper advice needed

One of those was on CL in Tyler TX this week.
Nice one, running, complete. Asking $500, sold for $450.

"Lathe": http://dallas.craigslist.org/tls/677184388.html

F. George McDuffee wrote:
I am now the proud owner of an Atlas 7B shaper.

for details see
http://www.kinzers.com/don/MachineTo...s%20Shaper.pdf

Some specific question for the group:

#1 -- Is there any place still selling replacement parts?

#2 -- I need tool holders. The American style lathe tool holders
will fit, but is the carbide style with 0 degree built in back
rake or the regular w/ 15 degree (?) better for shaper use? No
HD production shaping projected, just hobby/home use.

#3 -- How [well] does a lathe cut-off [parting off] tool holder
work for a slotter? Enco has these on sale
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...&PARTPG=INLMPI
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?P...TEM=RW250-1774
that looks like they should work.
Any one tried this?

Also the "correct" size holder [3/8 wide] takes a 3/32X5/8 blade,
which are available, but for lathe work I have had better result
with the parallel T shaped blades. The problem is that these
don't seem to be available in the 3/32X5/8 size to fit the
holder. Anyone used the H style blades in a shaper and if so is
there enough difference in performance to bother with? Again
production speed is not important, but ease of set up and use is.

The old shaper books show the use of "goose neck" tools.
Armstrong still makes a "goo sneck" cut-off tool holder [83-213 @
165$US, wrench and one blade included] that will fit, but the
price makes my socks roll up and down.
http://www.armstrongtools.com/catalo...p?groupID=1176
Anybody tried one of these, and if so is there any difference for
home/hobby use? Any alternative suppliers or used?

I am also looking for both belts guards [left and right side],
the left side "door," the 3/8 square drive "crank" for table
setting, stroke adjustment, etc., the elusive Armstrong #39 multi
position tool holder [or equivalent] and a small swivel shaper
vise.

If anyone has and uses the multi position tool holder, is it
worth the effort/cost to locate, or will a left/right lathe tool
holder work just about as well?

FWIW - I got the shaper from Ron Moore of Oklahoma City. If you
are looking for an older machine, parts for an older machine, or
tooling for an older machine, drop him an email. Nice person to
do business with. FWIW -- he may be able to
give Gunner a run for the money about who has the most "stuff."

Thanks for any leads, information or advise.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]
He that will not apply new remedies,
must expect new evils:
for Time is the greatest innovator: and