Ed Sirett

Default Does an exiting chimney require a flue liner?

BigWallop wrote:

"Hamish Marson" wrote in message

I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

The installer is so far telling us it doesn't ned anything else done
to the existing chimney, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later...

On a property of this age, it is safer to have a liner pulled through the
exsiting chimney. Over the years gaps appear in the mortar and the
stonework moves, thsi can cause unseen opening into other rooms above the
one you're working on, so it's best to line the chimney and not take the
chance of allowing flue gases to escape anywhere else than the top of the
pipe. Kopex flexible flue is not to expensive for the safety it provides.

The cost of installing a liner is not the liner but gaining access to
the chimney pot.
For a fire a liner is not required but the chimney must certainly be
swept and tested.
It is likely that on a chimney of this age its condition might indicate
a liner even if it were to pass all the smoke tests.
If this chimney were be used for a back boiler the liner would be
mandatory.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk