Posted to alt.home.repair
gpsman gpsman is offline

Default Anyone have experience w/Harbor Freight sandblasters?

On May 15, 7:54 pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 5/15/2008 4:45 PM RBM spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
rs.com...

Have a potential sandblasting job (removing peeled paint from below a
steel & concrete staircase, fairly large area), and I suggested to my
client that we might use either one of these Harbor Freight sandblasters
with a rented compressor:*

Does anyone have experience with either of these, or with similar ones
from this or other vendors? One's $15, the other $13, so when my client
asked if these would do the job, I told him that they probably would, and
even if we ended up buying two of these to finish the job, they're so
cheap that they could be practically considered consumables.

Some years ago I bought one from HF to take the rust off a WW2 jeep frame.
The one I got came with a tank about the size of a standard gas grill tank,
in fact it probably was, and a hose, mask, etc. Best I can figure, if I used
that rig to do the job, I'd probably still be working on it, twenty years
later. Essentially the things are worthless for anything beyond light hobby
work. I borrowed a rig from a buddy that sandblasts tombstones, and the job
took about an hour. I can see why a rental place wouldn't have one. You can
do a lot of damage in a heartbeat, if you're not careful

Thanks. Any suggestions for sandblasters?

Is the problem that these cheap ones just don't blast hard enough? Not
enough volume?

Among other things...

You need a "pot" sandblaster for serious work, and if you're doing
really serious work an air supplied hood with an air dryer.
http://cgi.ebay.com/20-Gallon-Pressu...QQcmdZViewItem
or http://tinyurl.com/4hnb4d
-----

- gpsman