Posted to rec.woodworking
blueman blueman is offline

Default Rounding over edge of thin hardwood strip

blueman writes:
blueman writes:
I am trying to round over the edge of a 4ft long 1.5" x 3/8" strip of
hardwood using a 3/8" round-over bit.

Since the wood is so thin (3/8"), I am using my router table for
otherwise the bearing would extend below the wood (and in fact the
roundover diamter is the same as the thickness of the wood).

The problem is that I am having trouble doing so without causing jumps
& gouges in the edge.

The problem is particularly bad near the tail end where I get a rather big
jump when the strip leaves the infeed guide. I believe the problem is
due to the fact that when the entire edge is rounded over, only the
very bottom edge of the strip is touching the guide which makes
alignment very difficult.

So, I am looking for a reliable way of rounding over the entire edge
of a thin strip of wood as above.

Are there any tricks? (such as maybe temporarily attaching it to
another piece of wood)

I'm thinking of doing the following:
Use my TS dado head to carve out a rabbit in 3/4" MDF to precisely
fit the hardwood strips.

Then use double stick tape to secure the strips to the MDF board

Then use the router free-hand (no router table) with the plate
resting securely on the MDF board side and the bearing along
the MDF board edge.

Any better suggestions?

Thanks,
Jeff

Did it today as above (but instead of double stick tape just used blue
painter's tape across the top -- plenty of strength since the tape
ran down the whole length of the strip).

Took about 15 min to make the MDF jig (mostly just setting up my dado
head).

Worked really well!

Thanks all for the advice and help!