Posted to alt.home.repair
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default 4-year-old Whirlpool won't Cool

I found a family-owned appliance (and AC and heating) repair company that
has been in business here for over 20 years, called Wednesday, and they came
out today, 15 minutes earlier than expected!

The thing that was broken is a little plastic thing that looks like a fuse
or one of those adaptors you plug into a two-prong outlet to make it take
three prongs. He told me the name and I forgot what it is. He handed it to
me, and said, "shake it, and you'll hear that it's blown." It rattles,
almost like a blown lightbulb. (It is beige plastice with an orange dot on
it and says "made in Mexico" on one side.)

He said it was a cheap piece of junk on this particular model, and he
recommended a "start kit" that he used on all Whirlpools with this problem.
The start kit part number is RC0410. He charged $65 for the call, one
half-hour labor $40, and $73 for the start kit. $178 total!

What do you all think? I thought under $200 was pretty good. He said if it
had been the compressor it might have been more like $500+.

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
I should have some time available. My basic trip charge is $60. Figure a
buck a mile from Rochester NY, calculated one way. Plus parts and labor.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"cybercat" wrote in message
. com...

Yes, this is what we were hoping. I'll have someone come out this Friday
if
I can get anyone.