Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer John Gilmer is offline

Default GFCI Outlet Question ?

I don't know how many people have fridges, freezers or beer coolers in
their garages - millions? - but I'm guessing that the majority are
going to lean towards being non-compliant vs. moving the appliance.

I know a guy whose address is very similar to mine who replaced a GFCI
protected receptacle in his garage with a standard receptacle because
my - errr - I mean *his* freezer tripped the GFCI and he lost a bunch
of food.

I'm sorry about your loss.

1) You might want to check out the appliance to see whether some water or
condensation has gotten where is should not be. Some fridges uses quartz
tube heaters and if the frost build up was high the ends of the tube would
get wet ... Some folks report problems when the appliance switches off
which indicates electrical leakage around the thermost contacts.

2) You also might want to invest in a "freezer alarm." But that will not
help if you leave the house for more than a day or so.