Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] georgesweeney@invalid.com is offline

Default Can I install window air conditioner in reverse position

On Wed, 14 May 2008 07:30:59 -0400, "Chris"
wrote:

Hello,

I would need to install my existing window AC on my new house in one room.
I do not plan to buy another AC this year.

My question is: could I install the AC on the lead of the attic access, with
the face down. In that way the ~exterior~ would be the attic and the AC
would push down the cold flow air. The lead for access to the attic is on
the wardrobe, which is next to my bedroom where I need the AC.

I can not install it on the existing windows, different model and size.

Thank you,
Chris

Your answer is NO.
Others have already explained why.

But if you planned to go thru the trouble of cutting a hole in the
ceiling, just cut a hole in the wall about 2/3 the height from the
floor. Cut between the studs, thru the siding. You'll probably have
to cut out one stud. Put a piece of 2x4 across the top and bottom of
the cut out hole to reinforce the cut stud. Add trim on inside and
outside and install the AC. This is done quite a bit in office
buildings, and it dont waste a window.