Posted to alt.home.repair
FatChance FatChance is offline

Default How to check on a house

You should have it inspected all through the building process by a
private inspector. Don't depend on the local "code" inspectors.
They don't find everything, they are too busy, can't possibly know
everything about all 12 or so trades and are not civilly liable.
Besides, they are inspection for "Code" which is MINIMUM STANDARDS.
Is that what you want for your huge investment?

Inspecting at the end is too late to find what may be serious flaws in
the construction. It's all covered up now and too expensive to do
anything about.
Doing "progress" inspections will cost you money but a whole lot less
than dealing with or tearing out something to fix what should have been
done before it was covered.
Private Property Inspector and retired General Contractor

wrote:
On May 12, 10:50�pm, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
even brand new homes can have serious deficencies, and with the
housing builing industry so bad, contractors may disown a problem or
may have gone bankrupt.
a new never lived in home is no guarantee of good quality

Hmmm.
Where I am, builders pulled fund to gurantee the sturucture of new house
for 5 years. 1st after service is all free. There were instances house
was bought back because of too much troubles.
No wonder I always had my house custom built on my spec.

with the economy so bad builders nationwide going bankrupt.

beware a builder on his way out may have cut corners and once they
file bankruptcy they are off the hook......

get home inspection even on new homes today. all sorts of wierd stuff
turns up, that might be hazard, and you may not find for years.

like reversed hot and neutral on outlets, or open grounds.

outlet still works fine

--
ÐÏ*¡±á