Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

In alt.engineering.electrical Michael Moroney wrote:

| Phil, did you see daestrom's excellent explanation how they use an
| inductor to prevent a dead short but in a way such that the inductor is
| virtually not there during normal operation (counterflowing currents)?

I believe I missed that.

| If these tap changers are rather expensive, I'm wondering what those
| pole pig "voltage regulators" I mentioned are. I thought they were just
| tapped autotransformers.

Sounds like they may be more of a voltage selector.

One set of transformers I saw once had a voltage selector which also revealed
the voltage to me. Even those these huge things were well guarded behind a
chainlink fence with barbed wire on top, I could clearly read the instructions
on the voltage taps. It listed 5 or 6 different voltages in the 4160 volt
range (I believe that was a middle one). The secondaries were a thick bundle
of insulated wires not on insulator standoffs, so obviously LV, possibly 480V
or 208V. These were 3 single tank transformers in roughly the design style
of a pole pig (round tank) with a control panel on them with the tap control
and some gauge I guessed may be temperature (but I could not see it clear
enough at the distance I was at to be sure). The instructions did indicate
that the transformer must be de-energized (not just unloaded) when making the
change. So I'm guessing they were just to compensate for variations in the
delivered voltage. These transformers were about 1 meter wide and 2.5 meters
high, each (3 of them). I did not see any reference to a kVA rating. They
were also very old looking (pre-WWII). They were humming.