Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Mannix Bob Mannix is offline

Default Outside tap - fibre washers?

"Rod" wrote in message
Part timer wrote:
A quick issue regarding replacing an outside tap. My present one has
packed in for good (turn it to open and it doesn't actually open
anymore). I have ripped out the check valve about 3 years ago when it
last stopped working (don't need a check valve for my uses).
Bought Screwfix part 16949 "Outside Tap Without Check Valve". Claims
to be 1/2" and BS 1010. My problem is it doesn't line up (in 12
o'clock position) like the old one does when fully screwed in. Would I
be looking at fibre washers to achieve this vertical position when
it's fully tightened and are these a common, standard size? Out of
interest, where is the 1/2" measurement measured?

I have just fitted a similar outside tap myself. Exactly the same
problem - tap wanted to be at about 06:00 (rather than 12:00, so to
speak). I just wrapped a wodge of PTFE tape round the thread and
retightened it. Repeated until it stopped just before the right position
when hand tight. Final touch with spanner aligned it nicely.

That's how you are meant to fit them - not suprising it worked!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)