Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

Default Outside tap - fibre washers?

"Part timer" wrote in message
A quick issue regarding replacing an outside tap. My present one has
packed in for good (turn it to open and it doesn't actually open
anymore). I have ripped out the check valve about 3 years ago when it
last stopped working (don't need a check valve for my uses).
Bought Screwfix part 16949 "Outside Tap Without Check Valve". Claims
to be 1/2" and BS 1010. My problem is it doesn't line up (in 12
o'clock position) like the old one does when fully screwed in. Would I
be looking at fibre washers to achieve this vertical position when
it's fully tightened and are these a common, standard size? Out of
interest, where is the 1/2" measurement measured?

Thanks

J.

It does amaze me how primitive plumbing fittings are

Surely it cannot be beyond the resources of mankind to design an outside tap
that will both fix to the wall and align correctly

I use a washer made of a scrap of lead flashing and tighten the tap until it
aligns then trim off the excess lead

Tony