Posted to alt.home.repair
peter peter is offline

Default When to get new water heater ?

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
john wrote:
I have an electric water heater...and just had laminated flooring
installed. The water heater is 15 years old. Most people are saying I
should get a new one very quick. Is this true ? I never had a problem
with the thing...still running without a problem. I just fear a big
leak could possibly occur anyday ?

Check the anode. If it's down to the core in more than a few spots, get a
new heater.

You do have a drain in the room where the water heater is installed, don't
you?

Most people do not examine their anode. If this applies here, then you anode
has probably disappear altogether after 15 years. Without a sacrificing
anode, the water corrodes the tank faster.

Even if you don't want to replace the tank, the least you should do is put a
pan under it to catch leak, and a flood alarm on the floor so you know right
away when it does leak.