Posted to alt.home.repair
zzyzzx zzyzzx is offline

Default water heat - oil versus electric

On May 14, 11:16*am, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
On Wed, 14 May 2008 06:43:24 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On May 14, 12:20*am, Paul M. Eldridge
wrote:
Personally, I would go with a good quality electric unit for now and
swap it out for a GE hybrid model when they become available in late
2009/early 2010.

That makes a lot of sense. * Buy a water heater now and then another
one in two years.

It makes perfect sense if the OP has to replace his tank now and can't
hold off for another two years. *As noted, Connecticut's electricity
rates are the second highest in North America and the payback on the
second install could be as little as three years and possibly less if
it qualifies for federal or state rebates/tax credits, low-interest
financing, utility incentives and the like.

Additionally, if their local utility leases electric water heaters and
the lease can be terminated at the end of two years without penalty,
then the OP's out-of-pocket expenses could be even less.

See:http://www.geconsumerproducts.com/pr...ses/appliances...

Video:http://www.geappliances.com/video_la...44&empid=4923&...

My sources tell me they will retail between $1,200.00 and $1,500.00,
roughly $1,000.00 more than the conventional alternative. *However, at
$0.16 per kWh (Connecticut's electricity rates are second only to
Hawaii), the payback would be less than three years (i.e., 2,500 kWh
savings @ $0.16/kWh = $400.00/year).

Cheers,
Paul- Hide quoted text -