Posted to alt.home.repair

Default paint question

On 5/13/2008 11:37 PM rb spake thus:

Got a device that has lots of corners, differences in materials, etc. If I
masked it for painting, would be masking forever.

I'd like to refresh the smooth metal parts.

Are there automotive paints like Imron, Acrylic, etc that will brush on OK?
The shiny gloss would be good to have.

From my experience, the only paints that can be brushed on successfully
(that is, resulting in a smooth, glossy finish) are oil-based paints.
Lacquers are a bitch to brush since they dry so quickly, and water-based
paints like acrylic *always* leave brush marks. (Unless you're talking
about acrylic lacquer, in which case the former comments apply.)

A good slow-drying oil-based paint (enamel) with good surface prep might
work well in this case.

conversation with the average voter.

- Attributed to Winston Churchill