Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dBc dBc is offline

Default Stacked TV antennas questions

Greetings Dave..

I did mention many years ago now.. To qualify that, how about back in
the 60's & 70's. I see that stations and licenses have moved all
around the place. Back in those days KNTV wasn't affiliated with
anyone since they were an independent station. Consider,
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KNTV). Heck, I remember when KLIV 1590
(as I recall) in San Jose was playing top 40 rock and roll music - NOT
exclusively news at all. In fact, I was one of those 15th callers
after hearing a certain song that won me a Coke jacket as I remember.
Too many years ago now but I AM curious how many San Jose folks would
ever remember KLIV playing top 40 - probably not many these days..

Those small two-element antennas mounted under the larger TV log are
still on MANY roofs in San Jose. Granted, probably not in the best of
shape but they're there! The twin lead would come from the larger log
down to the two-element Yagi, connect to it before going to the TV
inside the house. After all the complaints of bad video, KNTV did
something about it by offering these antennas - it DID work well!
Further, it was a inexpensive solution. They sold them like hotcakes
back in those days..

Regarding:
"I need to go up on the roof, and either re-aim the Yagi, or just
jumper out the combiner and use the northwards-pointing log-periodic
for all channels - the beamwidth is probably plenty sufficient."

You should try (at least initially) to re-aim it and see if that
resolves the issue. My bet, it will then work like a charm!! The
beam-width on a two-element array is broad as a barn! In fact, if you
were to only move it an inch or so right now, it would probably clear
up considerably. You're probably picking up multipath off of Loma.
Move away from that reflection point, and things will clear up
substantially if not totally. My bet will be totally clear video.

Ah, the things we do to avoid purchasing an inexpensive TV antenna
rotator..

Cheers,
Mr. Mentor

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
| In article ,
| dBc wrote:
|
| Greetings Jerry..
|
| Interesting situation but not unlike what has been going on for
years
| in the south SF Bay Area (San Jose). Sutro Tower is towards SF for
| about 50 miles while KNTV (Channel 11) is the opposite direction
right
| in San Jose - behind you. For several years (many years ago now),
KNTV
| sold a small 2 element antenna that you could mount on your TV mast
| and point the opposite direction to your normal TV antenna.
|
| My understanding is that KNTV 11 moved their transmitter site a
couple
| of years ago.
|
| The old site on Mt. Loma Prieta was shut down in 2006. The new
| transmitter site is on San Bruno Mountain, quite some distance to
the
| north: coordinates 37 deg, 41 min, 07 sec, West Longitude: 122 deg,
26
| min, 01 sec.
|
| Back when the NBC affiliation was moved to Channel 11, I had to add
| second antenna in order to pick it up properly (our primary antenna
| a standard log-periodic/reflector aimed north towards Sutro). I
made
| a single-channel Yagi for Channel 11, aimed it southwards, and
merged
| the signal to the main coax using a "Join-tenna" single-channel
| combiner. Worked like a charm.
|
| Doesn't work worth beans nowadays, since the Yagi towards Loma
Prieta
| rather than towards Mt. Bruno, and the Join-tenna is blocking the
| Channel 11 signal coming in from the log-periodic. All we get on 11
| is ghosts and snow. I need to go up on the roof, and either re-aim
| the Yagi, or just jumper out the combiner and use the
| northwards-pointing log-periodic for all channels - the beamwidth is
| probably plenty sufficient.
|
| --
| Dave Platt
AE6EO