Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Stacked TV antennas questions

In article ,
dBc wrote:

Greetings Jerry..

Interesting situation but not unlike what has been going on for years
in the south SF Bay Area (San Jose). Sutro Tower is towards SF for
about 50 miles while KNTV (Channel 11) is the opposite direction right
in San Jose - behind you. For several years (many years ago now), KNTV
sold a small 2 element antenna that you could mount on your TV mast
and point the opposite direction to your normal TV antenna.

My understanding is that KNTV 11 moved their transmitter site a couple
of years ago.

The old site on Mt. Loma Prieta was shut down in 2006. The new
transmitter site is on San Bruno Mountain, quite some distance to the
north: coordinates 37 deg, 41 min, 07 sec, West Longitude: 122 deg, 26
min, 01 sec.

Back when the NBC affiliation was moved to Channel 11, I had to add a
second antenna in order to pick it up properly (our primary antenna i
a standard log-periodic/reflector aimed north towards Sutro). I made
a single-channel Yagi for Channel 11, aimed it southwards, and merged
the signal to the main coax using a "Join-tenna" single-channel
combiner. Worked like a charm.

Doesn't work worth beans nowadays, since the Yagi towards Loma Prieta
rather than towards Mt. Bruno, and the Join-tenna is blocking the
Channel 11 signal coming in from the log-periodic. All we get on 11
is ghosts and snow. I need to go up on the roof, and either re-aim
the Yagi, or just jumper out the combiner and use the
northwards-pointing log-periodic for all channels - the beamwidth is
probably plenty sufficient.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO