Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
[email protected] phil-news-nospam@ipal.net is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

In alt.engineering.electrical Thomas Tornblom wrote:
| writes:
|
| In alt.engineering.electrical Thomas Tornblom wrote:
|
| | Residential power in Norway is normally 230V three phase btw, instead
| | of 400V three phase. Their 230V outlets are two phase and ground
| | instead of one phase, neutral and ground. Their three phase outlets
| | therefore are blue instead of red and have four prongs instead of five.
|
| Is this the system where the voltage is 133 volts relative to ground and 230
| volts between phases (and formerly 127 volts relative to ground and 220 volts
| between phases)?
|
| Yes.
|

| If they still use that system, then I'm interested in buying a UPS designed
| for that. But it is my understanding it is phased out in cities and hard to
| find anymore in rural locations.
|
| It seems they are moving to 400V as well, but I know many Norwegians
| are paying a hefty premium on their three phase equipment, like
| heatpumps.
|
| My heatpump use an internally star configured 3x400V compressor, and
| it would have been easy to wire it for 3x230V if they had brought out
| all the leads.

If all 6 leads of the 3 windings are brought out separate, then it can be wired
in star for 400/230 volt systems, and in delta for 230/133 volt systems. But
for Europe in general there would be little reason to do that. There is also
no reason to do that in North America, as we don't have any 360/208 volt systems
at all.

If I were in Europe I'd rather than the 400/230 volt system. In North America
I'd rather have the 480/277 volt system.