Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Outside tap - fibre washers?

Part timer wrote:
A quick issue regarding replacing an outside tap. My present one has
packed in for good (turn it to open and it doesn't actually open
anymore). I have ripped out the check valve about 3 years ago when it
last stopped working (don't need a check valve for my uses).
Bought Screwfix part 16949 "Outside Tap Without Check Valve". Claims
to be 1/2" and BS 1010. My problem is it doesn't line up (in 12
o'clock position) like the old one does when fully screwed in. Would I
be looking at fibre washers to achieve this vertical position when
it's fully tightened and are these a common, standard size? Out of
interest, where is the 1/2" measurement measured?

I have just fitted a similar outside tap myself. Exactly the same
problem - tap wanted to be at about 06:00 (rather than 12:00, so to
speak). I just wrapped a wodge of PTFE tape round the thread and
retightened it. Repeated until it stopped just before the right position
when hand tight. Final touch with spanner aligned it nicely.

--
Rod

onset.