Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can I install window air conditioner in reverse position

On May 14, 8:23*am, "John Grabowski" wrote:
"Chris" wrote in message

Hello,

I would need to install my existing window AC on my new house in one room.
I do not plan to buy another AC this year.

My question is: could I install the AC on the lead of the attic access,
with the face down. In that way the ~exterior~ would be the attic and the
AC would push down the cold flow air. The lead for access to the attic is
on the wardrobe, which is next to my bedroom where I need the AC.

I can not install it on the existing windows, different model and size.

Thank you,
Chris

It probably will not cool too well as it needs to dissipate heat and use
fresh air to cool. *If there is an attic fan to bring in air into the attic
you may get some cooling. *As Ken pointed out you will probably have a
problem with condensation. *I seem to recall that there are air conditioners
that sling the condensation onto the coil. *If yours is one of them it will
not function correctly.

Sounds like a bad idea. The condensation has to go somewhere and
mounted facing down, that's going to be dripping down out of the
front. I'd also have doubts as to whether the compressor was
designed to run rotated 90 deg from normal and would function normally
without damage, etc.