Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Calling all you chemists...

On Wed, 14 May 2008 17:47:45 +0200, "Steve Lusardi"
wrote:

Will urine ie human waste corrode 316L valves and pipe? The question is
asked because waste tanks are typically plastic, but Lloyds A1 certification
requires all through hull valves to be fire proof. Fireproof valves are
typically 316L. I have purchased all my valves from the chemical industry. I
have been told that urine will corrode 316 over time. I don't believe it. If
316 is good enough for corrosives in industry, why would it not stand up to
human waste? If anybody knows for sure, please let me know.
Steve

Here's a chemical compatibility chart, which shows 316's performance
as "Excellent" in this application:

http://www.sscableties.com/chem_pz.htm

316L (low carbon) should have very similar chemical resistance
properties at reasonable temperatures.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany