Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jg2005 jg2005 is offline

Default Panasonic Plasma TV 50"

Hello

First time post to this group. I'm trying to help my Daughter. She has
a Panasonic HD Plasma TV
( 50" purchased in 2005) that has stopped working. It was on,
operating normally and there was a brief noise and the screen went off
& didn't come back on.

Called an authorised Panasonic repairer (we are in Melbourne,
Australia) who is giving a quote. He first said a "board" had blown &
quoted A$650.00 for the repair. Now he has called back & said
replacing that didn't fix it, that another board had also gone & is
now quoting a total of A$1380.00 to fix it & said there still could be
more.

Wondering if anyone would know how many boards these things have and
whether this sounds like a rip-off. A new full HD 50" Panasonic is
around A$2200.00 on special. I'm told the earlier models such as my
Daughter's were built to a higher standard - I know it cost around
$4,500.00 - where they much better?

I know this is a vague question but would appreciate any comments.
Thanks.