Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Default Concealed hinges - how to fit?

Lobster wrote:
Cicero wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:18:17 +0100, Lobster wrote:

I'm bought some concealed (Euro?) hinges from Screwfix for the doors of
a row of bathroom units I'm making:
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=2QAWLRQQVY30OCSTHZOSFFY?_dync harset=UTF-8&fh_search=19361+&x=10&y=8

Now, I've fitted these things from scratch in the past, but I now can't
figure out how the hell to do it! Must be getting old :-(

Which component do you fit first - frame or door ? - and how do you get
the positioning correct? There's no info that came with mine to give
any inkling, and Google is unfriendly on the matter today.

David

==================================
It's worth making a dummy door from an offcut.

Mark the position of the hinge (on the dummy door)with the outer edge of
the hinge about 1/8" (3mm) from the edge. Drill and fix the hinge to the
dummy and then fix the other part of the hinge (the bit which will attach
to cupboard carcase) to the main hinge and position in the mid
position of
its adjustable range. Place the dummy door complete with hinge in
position
against the carcase and use the hinge to mark the position of the hinge.
Fix the dummy door in the marked position and check to see that it opens
and closes correctly. Adjust as necessary. Make another dummy if
necessary
to finalise the correct position of the hinge on the door - the 1/8"
suggested above is a good starting point.

Thanks all. Looks like a dummy door is the way forward... I'm spitting
to see the Blum template at Isaac Lord though! It's a no-brainer: they
must be dirt cheap to produce, so why aren't they available for all such
hinges, even the dirt cheap ones like mine?

Blum for me next time... ;-)

David,

It does work for the hinges used by B&Q which are, I think, cheapie FGV.
27mm from edge to holes.

The after-market style (cruciform) soft-close fitments supplied by
Wickes are made by Blum - but they are single action and fit on the
non-hinge side. Nowhere near as good as Blumotion. In fact, Wickes use a
mixture of Blum stuff (e.g. drawer mechanisms and soft-close) and
others (hinges).

The Clip Top hinges have the singular advantage that doors can easily be
removed and replaced at any time without even lifting a screwdriver and
without losing the adjustment position of the fitted door.

And you might care to have a quick look at my post of a month ago:

"Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: Rod
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:22:50 +0100
Subject: Fitting Blum Hinges

Recently I have fitted a few Blum hinges.

First pair, I carefully measured, remeasured, drilled, etc. Not too bad.
They work.

Second pair. I bought Blum template 65.5300 from Isaac Lord for £2-31
inc. Plonked on. Drilled through template (2.5mm). Fitted the plates.
Worked perfectly. Only measurement required is distance from top/bottom
of cabinet to hinge position. And even then you can simply place the
dorr (hinges attached) alongside the cabinet and draw along the sides of
the hinges. There are marks/edges on the template to align with edge or
centre lines done like that.

Doesn't do a lot but what it does it does well.

Apparently the template has to be ordered directly from Austria so they
might not be available from all stockists of Blum stuff.

I suspect that it might work with some other makes as well - the holes
are set 27mm from the cabinet edge and 32mm apart."

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.d-i-y/browse_frm/thread/41bdc4e6bcc7f4e8/d6fd5f3161413f5a?lnk=st&q=#d6fd5f3161413f5a

And spit some more. :-)

If you want one but can't find one, email me.

--
Rod

onset.