Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dick[_5_] Dick[_5_] is offline

Default Stacked TV antennas questions

Although I mentioned that you "could" combine the two antennas into
one lead, the reason you may not want to is something called
"ghosting." The two antennas will be receiving the same stations,
although not from the same direction. Signals can bounce off
mountains, etc. and you will get two signals of the same station
arriving at your TV at two different times, even though they are of
different signal strength. This causes your picture to have a ghost
appearance. For that reason, I would run separate coax leads from the
two antennas and forget the switch.

Dick

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:16:56 -0700 (PDT), Jerry
wrote:

I was thinking to do the following to switch between analog and
digital reception. Connect the antenna lead from the roof to the input
of an A-B switch (3 bucks at Frys Electronics). Connect the A output
of the switch to the RF input on the TV, use normal TV analog tuner
for the analog repeater stations. Connect the B output of the switch
to the RF input of the digital converter, connect the AV outputs of
the converter to the AV inputs of the TV, set the TV to AV In. Is that
going to work?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints,
Jerry