Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dick[_5_] Dick[_5_] is offline

Default Stacked TV antennas questions

Combining the coax output of the two antennas into a common splitter,
then one coax to the switch should work OK as long as the signals are
realatively strong. If not, you can always put an amplifier in the
line. Both can be purchased at Radio Shack.

Instead of using a splitter and a switch, you would be better off just
running the individual antenna leads to the digital box and TV. Then
you would only be switching the TV, and not the TV and switch every
time you wanted to change from digital to analog.

Dick - In view of Mingus Mountain

On Tue, 13 May 2008 15:16:56 -0700 (PDT), Jerry
wrote:

I have been looking at the post-February-2009 TV situation for my
summer cabin, which is about 20 miles outside of Flagstaff AZ. Being
mountainous, and semi-rural, it appears that there will still be a lot
of analog repeater signals, even after the digital switchover date.
Specifically, the TVFool website indicates that there will be 4 or 5
digital signals coming from Flagstaff, an azimuth of 56 degrees from
my location; and maybe a dozen analog repeater signals that I am
receiving now, mostly coming from a place called Mingus Mountain, an
azimuth of 228 degrees from my location.

Not really interested in using an antenna rotator. Did enough Googling
to see that stacking antennas might be my answer, point one at
Flagstaff and the other at Mingus.

Can I just connect the antenna leads together, or do I need something
to combine the signals from the separate antennas?

Any other hints on how to maximize my reception?

Also, the digital converter box I bought does not have analog
passthrough. When I got it, I thought even the repeater stations would
be going digital in February, I didn't know that they would be staying
analog for some unknown amount of time. So, I guess I need to be set
up to handle both signals, analog and digital.

I was thinking to do the following to switch between analog and
digital reception. Connect the antenna lead from the roof to the input
of an A-B switch (3 bucks at Frys Electronics). Connect the A output
of the switch to the RF input on the TV, use normal TV analog tuner
for the analog repeater stations. Connect the B output of the switch
to the RF input of the digital converter, connect the AV outputs of
the converter to the AV inputs of the TV, set the TV to AV In. Is that
going to work?

Thanks in advance for any helpful hints,
Jerry