Posted to alt.home.repair
cybercat cybercat is offline

Default 4-year-old Whirlpool won't Cool

"pipedown" wrote

Is it safe to assume you don't want any advice on how to fix it yourself.
That would naturally be the least expensive route costing only the part
price and maybe a generic repair manual (in most cases the parts list,
exploded view and schematic are in the owners manual or stuck to the back
of the unit or tucked into the bottom chassis or online at the Mfg
website). To bridge the few days it will take you to figure it out and
acquire the part, get a few blocks of dry ice and pack the freezer.

We actually have an old one--really old, like, from 1950--we are using
now. I think your suggestion is a good one, but not for us. I would lose
so much money in the time I worked on the repair, it would not be
worth it. (I have my own business and am swamped.) The other thing
is ... I am a mechanical retard and so is my husband, %/

But thank you for taking the time to explain this.

If you want someone to repair it (and get it done ASAP) then you have to
have a little faith that the company you call is competent and honest. If
you want a specific recommendation for your actual location then try that
website www.angieslist.com or Google "contractor referals" for other
websites. My first questions to them would be "what does it cost to come
out and diagnose but not repair, do you do that? and "what if you can't
fix it today, I assume I pay only after it is finished?" and "do you
charge hourly, what is the rate?". Waiting for parts to come in can delay
anybody but you want a way to fire them if they just bumble around trial
and error without fixing it for days, you don't want to pay for that,
you'll just want to get another company at that point to finish the job
right. (I threatened that to some plumbers and that got some better
supervisors on site quite fast)

I will follow this advice, thanks so much!