Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Gap between slab and foundation

pipedown wrote:

"Norminn" wrote in message
om...

wrote:

As I understand laminate flooring, keeping moisture out of it is
CRITICAL.-

Has the basement EVER HAD A WATER OR MOISTURE PROBLEM

EVER??

If so get interior french drain before putting in floor......

Who said anything about a basement?

It's a reasonable assumption since most slab homes do not have the
foundation wall above grade. Usually just a footer and slab with sill plate
on the perimeter. But who knows, it could be a unique construction.

In any case, I would seal it unless the OP can find evidence it really is a
drain (like a drainpipe or sump pit nearby) Use a flexible caulk urethane
caulk should be effective and not too expensive. Silicone or Silicone II
caulk will work albeit at a higher price. Don't bother with latex caulk, it
keeps airtight but will fail if water pushes from outside. Even if there is
not a water problem, sealing will keep things like radon gas out (if your
location is prone to that)

I was going to cancel my last message - my brain finally clicked in.
So, it's a basement. Back to the
Pergo instructions.........also say not to install the flooring on a
floor with a sump or a floor drain.