Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bg bg is offline

Default computer security

wrote in message ...
I use Internet Explorer as my web access for my business. We are in
sales and we all work on commisions here based on the leads we
generate. So privacy is very important. Computer access is shared
among employees. My search procedure is that I usually just go to
google or dogpile and type in the word of the site I'm looking for and
when I'm shown a list I click on it and it takes me there. There is
never a record of the visit stored on Google so I always felt that
this is a secure way to search. However, I just noticed that most
computers keeps a running memory of which sites have been visited in
the address bar. I noticed this quite by accident when attempting to
type an address in the address bar and as soon as I typed so much as
www, a list of things came up. Further, if I type
www.s for instance
every site beginning with s that has been visited comes up. I've gone
into Internet options and deleted cookies and offline content. The
addresses remained until I cleared history. However that clears
everything else as well. What I am asking is this. If I go to a
computer that has an existing history on it and I visit a site, can I
make it so that there is no record of my visit yet retain all the
existing sites in the computer's history? This is very important to
me as the security of my job may depend on it. Thanks, John.

If you are comfortable with modifying the registry -
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\TypedURLs
This is where your typed urls are stored in W98, don't know about other
operating systems. You can delete any of these keys.