Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Lathe Facing Problems

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Bushy Pete writes:

... methylated spirits ...

I.e., what we Americans call denatured alcohol, mostly ethanol plus a
denaturant such as a very small proportion of methanol.

It still baffles me how anyone expects us to make billions of gallons of
ethanol for fuel and not have a bootlegging problem. Surely the guys in
the distillery will have every incentive to draw off a personal supply
before the stuff is denatured with gasoline. Or are we going to hire
100,000 IRS agents to watch them? This corn ethanol biz is literally just
making 200 proof vodka on an unimaginably huge scale. And this is the
country that once had Prohibition!

You mean ATF.

And we may have had Prohibition, but before that we had areas of the
country where they used whiskey for money, and had insurrections over
the federal government insisting that folks pay taxes with cash instead
of in kind.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services