Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley ransley is offline

Default Urethaning front door with no stain

On May 13, 5:33*am, Mikepier wrote:
I have finished stripping down my front door and now its time to
finish it. I believe it is mahagony and I would like to keep the
finish natural. I am planning on using the Minwax Helmsman Spar
Urethane as a finish coat. My question is do I still need to stain the
door, or can I just use the urethane on top of the unfinished wood?

Just finish it, check your work by coating the door with paint
thinner, that will let you see what it will look like finished and if
any more work is needed. Use gloss for the first coats , Satin is
cloudy and wont allow as much of the grain to show through, you can
leave it gloss if you want.