Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag
Ian Jackson[_2_] Ian Jackson[_2_] is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

In message , Thomas Tornblom
writes
"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

Thomas Tornblom wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair jakdedert wrote:
I'm a little confused about a 230 volt circuit. In what part of the
world does the utility supply 230v?

Continental Europe used to have 220 volts (before that it was 127
volts in
some places), the UK used to have 240 volts. Nowadays, the common voltage
is 230 volts -10% +6%.

In other words, nothing has changed. They just wrote sloppier specs.

It has changed, the voltage is now close to 230V, at least in Sweden.

I guess the sloppiness was specified to allow a gradual switch from
220/240 to 230 and still be within spec.

Do the math. The specifications allow continued use of the old
standard n each country.

If you read my comment you will see that I agree that the new spec
covers the old voltages. I do not agree with your statement that
"nothing has changed". We had 220V before and we now have 230V, so the
actual voltage has definitely changed.

In the UK, we had 240V. We now have err..... 240V.
There may be places where it really has been reduced to 230V, but I've
never been anywhere where I had occasion to measure the mains voltage,
and didn't get around 240V - certainly not sufficiently different for
you to notice the difference.
--
Ian