Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Typical warranty length for floorboards/joists?

wrote:

I usually give a years warranty on any work, but as this is a thing that
should last 50+ years, what warranty would be reasonable for such a job?

It would depend very much on the exclusions relating to failure to
maintain the surrounding building - dampness, poor ventilation,
leaking pipes, failing to treat infestations etc.

I've put it down as 5 years now, as the house owner doesnt GAF, and it
was only because of their incompetence/cluelessness that the boards and
joists originally rotted away.
Firstly the washing machine outlet was just stuck in a 40mm pipe that
went through the wall at 90 degrees to the wall - the washing pipe
outlet must have been a max of 35 mm, so when the machine was pumping
out the water, there was always a bit leaking out, running down the
wall, and soaking the floor.
Secondly, the drain outside the kitchen was nearly blocked, full of fat,
dog hair (dog **** on the cover) and a few stones, along with a plastic
bag.
To compound it, the concrete around the gully was gone, so it would
overflow, the water woudl go over the top, eroding the soil around the
brick wall, then working through the mortar, hence inside, behind the
drain, was always damp, and had eventually rotted the joist abutting
that wall, and an area of maybe a square metre of flooring.

I'm making enough on this to cover myself a few times over if it does go
again, but TBH, it should outlast me now it is all sorted.
Alan.