Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default tin says to use a synthetic brush

In article ,
says...
I'm using some Ronseal diamond hard satin clear 'water based' varnish on a
table top. It says on the tin to use a *synthetic filament * brush, which
is annoying, since all my brushes are bristle.

Would using a synthetic brush make any noticeable difference to the final
finish? Anyone know why they would recommend a synthetic brush please?

I've ruined a perfectly good high quality bristle paintbrush
with water-based polyurethane. (didn't say anything about it on
the tin, unfortunately). The stuff just goes off in the higher
parts of the brush. Also it doesn't flow out very well, which
makes for a patchy/streaky finish. It flows much better out of
synthetic brushes and it doesn't stick to the filaments the way
it sticks to bristles, so you don't end up chucking your
favourite finishing brush after the first coat.

-P.