Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics.electromag

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

Thomas Tornblom wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair jakdedert wrote:
I'm a little confused about a 230 volt circuit. In what part of the
world does the utility supply 230v?

Continental Europe used to have 220 volts (before that it was 127 volts in
some places), the UK used to have 240 volts. Nowadays, the common voltage
is 230 volts -10% +6%.

In other words, nothing has changed. They just wrote sloppier specs.

It has changed, the voltage is now close to 230V, at least in Sweden.

I guess the sloppiness was specified to allow a gradual switch from
220/240 to 230 and still be within spec.

Residential power in Norway is normally 230V three phase btw, instead
of 400V three phase. Their 230V outlets are two phase and ground
instead of one phase, neutral and ground. Their three phase outlets
therefore are blue instead of red and have four prongs instead of five.

Do the math. The specifications allow continued use of the old
standard n each country.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM