Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair
Don Kelly Don Kelly is offline

Default 280V motor on 230V circuit

----------------------------
"daestrom" wrote in message

wrote in message
In alt.engineering.electrical Michael Moroney
wrote:

| Are the load tap generators configured make-before-break?
| Break-before-make would mean a (very short) power outage every
activation
| but make-before-break would mean a momentarily short-circuited winding
and
| the break would involve interrupting a large short circuit current.

I wonder how much regulation could be managed through the use of variable
leakage inductance in the transformer windings.

I suppose you could, but increasing leakage inductance means you're
increasing losses aren't you? Just a percent or two on a unit rated for
250 MVA can be too much to tolerate.

daestrom

-------------
I don't see changing leakage inductance having much effect on losses ( a
great effect on voltage regulation -likely all to the bad) but the problem
is one of changing leakage inductance.
Does this mean changing a gap in the core? Does it mean moving one winding
with respect to another? In any case it does mean some fiddling with the
core or winding.
This has been done for series lighting circuits where the load current was
kept constant by using a transformer which balanced the forces between coils
against a fixed weight. If the current changed the secondary coil moved so
that there was more or less leakage. The units that I have seen were rather
cumbersome.

--

Don Kelly
remove the X to answer