Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Zayonc Zayonc is offline

Default OT - Data from Columbia disk drives survived the shuttle accident

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Mon, 12 May 2008
19:23:11 -0700, Zayonc, wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

In 97mVj.1864$T1.1192@trnddc01, on Sat, 10 May 2008 18:49:41 GMT, Jim
Chandler,
wrote:

Edwards attributes that to a lucky twist: The computer was running an
ancient operating system, DOS, which does not scatter data all over
drives as other approaches do.

Um, hello? DOS has and needs defragmentation tools.
"Other approaches" don't.

Has? Yes. Needs? No. There is no requirement for defragmentation
for FAT file system.

Yes, but in context of Edwards' statement, if DOS
didn't scatter data all over drives, there wouldn't
even *be* defrag tools.

DOS does not scatter data all over driveS - is scatters only
over ONE drive (and another and another... but separately).

It's for conviniency and access speed only.
But what are other approaches that need the defragmentation?

I don't know that any file system will stop working
if not defragged... but certainly FAT and ntfs "scatter
data all over drives?"

If we change word "drives" to singular then - yes. And UFS and
EXT2 and you name it. Any modern file system does scatter data
all over the drive (and some - over the driveS - but definitely
not DOS).

Ok, possible original meaning of the original statement is
already lost...