Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PC woes

In article ,
andrew wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

ll this talk about it being the motherboard - wouldn't the actual
sensor - and possibly much of the electronics - be in the CPU?

http://heatsink-guide.com/content.ph...=maxtemp.shtml

suggests that the sensor is in the motherboard under the cpu for amd.

Interesting. Having the computer completely stripped down with a view to
replacing the MB and CPU with a later type I've had a good look at the
underneath and surrounding parts of the socket. And there don't appear to
be any components directly underneath the socket - although of course
being multi-layer could be inside the MB, I suppose. I also removed the
plastic slide on the socket with a view to cleaning everything. Cleaned
everything locally both sides of the board with contact cleaner. And did a
basic reassemble. Only one HD and the graphics card. Fired it up and it's
fine. Put everything back together and it's still fine. Left it on all
night - working ok. Probe reports a CPU temp of 45C.
But I've been down this route before - disturbing things seem to sort the
fault for a while.

--
*TEAMWORK...means never having to take all the blame yourself *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.