Posted to alt.home.repair
Puddin' Man Puddin' Man is offline

Default Sewer gas smell in basement

On Mon, 12 May 2008 17:56:36 -0500, Rick-Meister wrote:

Toilet in the basement? Bad wax ring seal?

Nope.

Hub type cast iron main stack?

Is cast iron.

Leak in hub seal?

Sho'ly doesn't look like it.

You're running your sump into a floor drain?

Yup.

Septic system or city
sewer? If city, that's probably against code.

I don't think it was when installed. Sump cycles
maybe 30 gals/year. Is trivial.

Greetings,

I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest, built in
'54, poured-concrete foundation.

Sewer gas smell in basement is detectable, far from overwhelming.

I ran a search, considered numerous possibilities (dry trap, open
clean-out in floor drain, etc). None seem to fit. Sniffed the
bsmt. floor drain particularly carefully as sump, washer, and
AC drain the no odor.

I gotta track it down.

Any ideas?

100% safe to pour a pint or so of laundry bleach in each drain?

Thx,
Puddin'

" ... and the bees made honey in the lion's head."
- from "If I Had My Way", Blind Willie Johnson