Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet[_2_] James Sweet[_2_] is offline

Default RCA g35302wk Picutre collapse

Bill wrote:
On Mon, 12 May 2008 18:40:09 +0000, James Sweet wrote:

Bill wrote:
I have an RCA g35302wk that has been a great TV for a number of years.
Recently it started doing this funky thing where the picture would
collapse and you are left with a thin horizontal line all the way across
the screen. The line is very bright, and the television still has audio
when this happens. At first if you turned the TV off for a few minutes
then back on the picture would clear up and it would be ok for a random
amount of time, between about 1/2 hour and 2 hours. One morning though
it went into the collapsed state and has been stuck there ever since. I
found very little repair infor for this TV on the internet, one page
said to replace U3101 (210736), U3200 (209956) and microprocessor. But I
dont think that is causing this issue. Can anyone give me any tips on
anything else that may be causing this picture collapse? I did replace
the power supply about 2 years ago. I am skilled in electronics and do
have experience with HV systems, I just do not know where to being
looking. I know the NEW HD world is coming up, but I would love to keep
this TV going if it can be fixed without much trouble.

Thanks in Advance,
Bill

This is simple, you've got a cracked solder joint in the vertical output
section, possibly a bad vertical output driver but usually it's just the
soldering. Don't run it like that, it'll burn the phosphors in the tube.
If you've got any electronics skills at all this should be a really easy
fix. It's easier to do it when the problem is still intermittent as you
can tap stuff with the set running to narrow it down.

I have not been running it this way. Currently I have a litte 20" sitting
on top of that one so I can atleast watch the news. I thought it might be
a cracked solder joint. But I wanted to see if there was any info on the
internet first, thats where I came up on the replacement of the components
listed above. But when I looked at the schematic and it listed one of
those as an EEPROM I figured I would try to find the info somewhere else.
I will check for the cracked solder joints and let the group know the
outcome.

Thanks A Ton,
Bill

The EEPROM is probably still fine. I forgot to mention, while you're in
there you should resolder the tuner shield grounds if this is one of the
sets affected by that. It'll prevent future issues.