Posted to sci.electronics.repair
powerseed via ElectronicsKB.com powerseed via ElectronicsKB.com is offline

Default Summagraphics Digitizer Controller Needs Repair

Hi Sam...really appreciate your time and input!

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

First things to do would be to confirm

(1) that the serial port adapter has installed properly.

I don't have access to another PC w/ a serial port and am not a programmer
with familiarity with terminal mode (what can you expect from a clueless mac
user . I am pretty confident tho that this is a tablet problem as you may
concur after reading my following responses.

(2) that the tablet is actually outputting something on the serial port.

Serial port switches set to mfr's defaults re handshake, etc. I am also non
compos mentis when it comes to troubleshooting electronics but it did give it
a shot. I have a cheapo R. Shack digital auto-ranging digital multimeter
(that produces wandering phantom readings when not connected to a live
circuit). I tried to document output from the DB9 female on the serial
adapter with the board powered up. Nada when I put the black lead on P5
signal ground and the pos on P2 (during this test I was moving the puck and
pressing buttons as well). When I tested P5 and P2 it would momentarily show
0 volts as I was moving and clicking then it begin its up and down wandering
again???

(3) that the cable has pins 2 and 3 swapped, or not swapped as required.

I'm not using a serial cable...DB25 female plug to male DB25/female DB9
adapter to DB9/USB adapter to USB cable to PC

When connected correctly, there should probably be a negative voltage
on both pins 2 and 3 with respect to pin 5. If incorrect, then
there will be a voltage on only one of those pins.

See above...and my responses to Frank Zabkar in this thread.

My best,

Bill Curry