Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Where is the filter for the Central AIr?

On May 12, 10:38*am, Eric in North TX wrote:
On May 12, 9:05 am, wrote:

Hi,
I've been in my house for a year, I looked inside all of the interior
air intakes for my central air system, and none of them seem to have a
filter. I was in the crawl space yesterday and saw what look like used
filters, left by prefvious owner. Do all Central air systems have
filters? If the filters is not in the intakes where are they? The
machinery of central air system is in the crawl space, is the filter
located in this part of the system? Thanks.

Mine is on the intake side of the air handler (squirrel cage fan), but
mine is an a closet in the house. Seem odd
that they would force going to the crawl space to change filters, but
who knows what the installer was thinking.
If you find it there and don't like that, you could always change out
the intake grills to ones that take filters, &
just leave the one in the unit out.

you could always change out the intake grills to ones that take
filters

Replacing the single filter with multiple filters at the intakes could
restrict air flow to the system making it work harder or be less
efficient.

The OP might want to get an on-site professional opinion before going
down that path.

If you've been there a year and don't know when the system was
inspected last, it might make sense to schedule a check-up. When you
call to make the appointment, tell them you want to talk about
changing the filter layout and that you want to make sure that they
send out a knowledgable service rep.