Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to check on a house

wrote in message
I'm a prospective home buyer. Is there a way (like a government
resource) where I can check to see what repairs I might need to do to
a house before I purchase it. For example, has the foundation been
cited as needing repair, the roof, is there a spider infestation, etc.

As others have said, get the home inspected. Another good idea: Bring 2-3
intelligent, observant friends for a couple of walk-throughs. Sometimes they
spot things the inspectors miss, or ask questions you didn't. "How come the
ceiling in this room is textured, but not in other rooms?" Could point to
past water damage. Inspectors don't always notice everything. Mine
completely missed the uninsulated crawl space under part of the kitchen.