Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default PC woes

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
stuart noble wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
George wrote:
I presume you have done an elimination process? ie just the graphics
card,mem in place with all drives,periphials,and addon cards
disconnected? at least this would narrow it down to mobo,graphics,cpu.
My initial thoughts when it first started was the PS shutting down so
substituted it with a known good one. Then removed all the various
peripherals except the graphics card. Still happened. Tried a different
graphics card too.

Aren't there any PC anoraks advertising in your local paper? Time to
admit defeat I'd say

If no one on here (or elsewhere) has suggestions would such a type do any
better?
I can obviously fix things by the shotgun approach of replacing MB and
CPU. Get a 'man' in and all I'm doing is paying extra for his labour to do
what I can myself.

But he probably has all the bits to hand, so at least you won't pay for
the ones that weren't the problem. Think yourself lucky that the fault
is reproduceable, and not some intermittent can of worms.

I think I might test the water by ringing round and describing the
symptoms. IME the good guys will usually say, "It sound like...." rather
than "Bring it in and we'll look at it". The latter usually means they
know nothing and will be farming it out to a local engineer