Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Luc Luc is offline

Default Photocopier negative "ghost" image

The cleaning lamp will be a halogen or flurescent lamp, depending on
the manufacture

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:44:31 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

The manual talks about a strong light to erase the drum so I assume
it's some light source (incadescent or flourescent) but not sure since
I haven't seen it. It appears that the drum is getting really dirty
and the negative image is caused when it "prints" a new image which
"cleans" off that part of the drum. So it's pulling off the old toner
that's stuck to the drum exposing a clean surface underneath. If I
run multiple blank copies, the negative "ghost" images eventually
disappears...gets darkened and blends in with the rest of the "dirty"
copy.

I'm normally just a user of photocopiers and learning how to fix them
out of necessity...small town with no local Minolta dealer. I'm not
fully understanding PeterD's comment about the erase corona. I
thought the erase stage actually applies the positive charge to the
drum. I don't think there is a corona wire before the scraper in this
model. Will need to look into it. Thanks for the suggestions/
feedback. I'm looking at cleaning out the old toner and getting fresh
new one. I'll let you know how this turns out.

HD