Posted to alt.hvac,alt.home.repair
Tom[_12_] Tom[_12_] is offline

Default GE Window Air Conditioner ASM14L Qiestions

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
?

The removable air filter is nothing more than plastic or nylon mesh. I
don't see how it's going to filter much of anything
and I don't see how I can add a a different filter.

The rear of the installed unit doesnot have a protective grill over the
cooling fins on the back of the unit. The rear of the case has
indentations and mounting holes for a rear protective grill. I called GE
customer service and was told the unit didnot ship w/ a protective grill
for the the cooling fins. Any suggestiuons how I can get a grill for the
back?

Tom

Filter should be good enough. If you are talking about trying to use a
HEPA filter for allergies, get a free standing unit to clean the air.
Filters on an AC are to keep the coils clean, not to clean the air you
breath.

As for the grill on back, most units stopped way back to save money. If
you feel the need, buy some expanded metal and screw it on the back. Just
don't put any screws through the coil or you trash the AC. The last AC I
bought with a full grill enclosure was over 25 years ago. The new ones
are about half the weight of the older models. Comes down to cost cutting
and competition. The bigger companies are building well over 5,000 units
a day so saving a buck in material and labor certainly adds up.

Thanks for the clarification the filter and grill.

The rear of the air condition is on the house back porch. I've got to do
something to protect the cooling fins. I believe GE needs to offer the
protective grill as an extra cost option. As previously stated the case is
designed to accommodate a grill on the rear of the case.

tom